5.20.2009

CLAW Money - Women's OG Of Streetwear

“I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR TRENDS YOU SEE JUST EMERGING NOW- THAT I HAVE BEEN REPPING FOR LONGER THAN I CAN REMEMBER!" CLAW MONEY

Graff girl Claw Money was profiled in the two-part feature Girls on The Street in Issue 16 of the print mag. With roots in the art scene, Claw cruised into fashion putting her trademark throw up on everything from Tee’s to Sunnies.



Start by telling me who you are and how you roll?

I’m Claw Money, watch and learn bitches. I am sporty at 40, from Fresh Meadows, Queens NYC and I now reside way, way uptown! I guess graffiti propelled me into the spotlight, but I have been around forever.

How did you get your start in fashion and what led you to do your own label?

I have been working in fashion for over twenty years; I always knew I would be in this business. I have the nose for clothes! I’ve worked as a designer, stylist, costumer, fashion editor, brand consultant – I did all of this before designing and owning my own label. When you buy Claw Money, you get all this expertise! I am responsible for trends you see just emerging now- that I have been repping for longer than I can remember! I think that finally I just had to sign my products to finally get the credit due.

Historically girls streetwear labels haven’t been as popular as they are now. Did the lack of choice in the market play any role in your creating your own label?

When I started my line there was no one doing anything cool for chicks. Now we are over saturated with female brands catering to the growing, and once non-existing new women’s market. But they are not Claw Money. I think it’s a good thing because it creates a market place for our category of clothing and I no longer stand alone in the store!

So what’s Claw Moneys history? Tell me the story.

I put my first Claw on a tee-shirt at the request of friends right after 9/11. I did it as a goof, just to do it, but the demand grew. The stores couldn't keep them in stock and I thought: "I could really make a go of this!"

There's just no other brand with a point of view like mine, and I began to realize that people were interested in my vantage point.

My first collection was in 2002, now it’s 2009- seven years going strong. I do three collections a year so Spring 2009 will be my 21st collection! Holler!

Where does your inspiration come from when you’re designing? Do you scour the streets, or markets, or magazines or do you just dream?

Everything and everyone inspires me...the homeless man wearing a cool, weird hat, the little baby wearing a crazy, printed blanket, and of course the fabulous people who walk around with fancy clothing on. Nature and art influence me too – it is hard to say something does not.

What’s up for your next collection?

The brand is about morphing my claw into unexpected applications. This collection is all about fun and being in your face – the same as all the others, but with a modern twist.

What has been your fave piece you’ve ever made?

I get sick of stuff so easily, as soon as it catches on – I am on to the next thing. I love all the stuff I do, so I have no favorites! I love that I help mold this industry and have made a viable avenue for women in this market.

Do you see your label still producing rags in 5 years? Or do you think your current success is a product of the present wave and popularity of womens street wear?

I was here before it was a trend and will be here when it ends. My brand is not confined to streetwear. I make artist products and that will never change. I have about ten different jobs, some bring in money and some bring in none. I really like to do different things. Today I might be making clothes and two years from now I might start making furniture – or designing house wares. I consider my life a journey of artistic endeavors and am luckily to have a fan base that wants my products, whatever they might be... so stay tuned!

How do you handle the demanding timetable of being an international fashion designer? Is it all that you expected it to be?

My life is exhausting. I am preparing for a big art show this summer. There are not enough hours in the day for all that I do. I need a clone, and fast! I have always been a hard worker so this is not new to me. I am an OG.

What’s your fave part about designing as well as your most hated?

Favorite part is actually making something awesome and most hated is paying for production! Being an indie brand keeps you broke! Fun but broke.

What do you see as street fashions most pressing issue moving forward?

Too many wack brands popping up and flooding the streets with eyesores.

Do you think that the competition is thick out there? Do you not look at what others are doing?

What competition? There are other brands but they are not Claw Money, don’t get it twisted. This is the real deal, not a marketing strategy. I might be the only “female” brand that makes clothes for dudes too!

How do you measure your own success? Runway shows, a sell out collection, international press or just seeing your threads on a missy on the street?

I experience all those things on a daily basis but they are just part of the job.

I say do what you love and let the rest follow. Do it to do it and not to make money. When you are doing something just for financial gain (particularly in street art right now) it smacks of fraudulence. If someone had told me fifteen years ago that I would make a living off my graffiti throw up, I would have laughed in their face. My attitude was like: "I do this because that's what I do." Now the world is a different place. When I started there was a small female voice - in both graff and streetwear, that voice is getting louder and I am continuing to carry that torch.

There was a bit of a hiatus of fresh womens labels prior to ‘06. Comment? Historically, what brands were you into before this nu wave of female street wear hit the racks?

I guess I am not up on it. I live in a bubble. I think there is room for everyone and hope that more girls will feel inspired to do it themselves. Ladies stand up.

What other brands are you into? Is there any particular labels that you think are creating particularly dope threads right now?

Fashion is kind of boring right now. This recession is killing creativity! I love so many brands – too many to name! Some are Jeremy Scott, Brian Litchenberg, Cassette Playa – the trend setters.

What’s your personal definition of style? What makes you turn your head on the street when you see a hot girl or guy?

Style is something that is natural and not contrived. You can buy all the latest fashion in the land but still have no style. My style is downtown trying to CLAW uptown! Ghetto meets Couture, Dirty vs Clean, Expensive vs Cheap. Funny, loud and pretty all at once!

Do you have a particular affinity for colour, or fabric, or cut? Were you college trained or self taught?

I love color, the brighter the better. Why would you want to blend in and look like the rest? I love natural fabrics such as cotton, linen and wool. Cuts change as often as fashion does. And I might change my mind about all this later!

I am a fashion college drop out and was raised on the street by wolves! I learned by working, watching and being mentored by some very talented people. I have been working for a long time and I am no kid - but still feel like one. I am too young to be old and too old to be young – shit!

What sort of clothes did you wear as a kid? And who in the world would you most like to dress?

My parents were not into fashion at all. They forced me to wear things I didn’t like which turned me into a fashion junkie. Coveting things I would never have and obsessing over them. When I started making my own money I had to have everything that my heart desired. Now I have all these things and could really care less. They were right all along. It’s just stuff!

As Claw Money go from strength to strength make sure you keep ahead of the 8 ball on their movements by bookmarking their website clawmoney.com. They also have a blog titled blogue which stays fresh on the daily.


No comments: